Stay at home mom who spends time wrangling her active 2 year old son and painting people's pets.
I was tagged by photolodico :)
1. If you had this tumblr in highschool what sort of reblogs would we see all the time? What would you write about? It would be about the lowesy boys I dated and how lost I was but how strong I was to survive my mom’s issues and not do drugs like everyone else. I would reblog Radiohead lyrics.
2. Who is the most influential person in your life that you know but not very well. Someone who dropped in for a moment but you remember it vividly and it changed the way you see.
Okay no joke it took me hours to answer this. I don’t have an answer. I need time to connect in a good or bad way before I can be influenced.
3. What’s your second favorite color and why?
Clothes wise, black. Everything else well I love all blues and grays.
4. If you could design your own concert with 2-8 of your favorite bands/singers who would they be?
The Cure, Bob Dylan, Billy Bragg, Old school Radiohead, Chuck Ragan, Johnny Cash… That’s all I have now.
5. Have you had Pho? Do you like it? Can you get it where you live? I’ve had pho, not a huge fan, but don’t hate it. We can get it in Atlanta.
6. If you had to paint your bedroom and bright non-neutral color, what would you choose? Oh man, Old pickup truck blue (Benjamin Moore).
7. If you could only shop at three stores for the rest of your life (and you can still order from Amazon or whatever you want online) what three and why? Vitacost - everything organic for less! Victoria’s Secret because I hate bra shopping and being fitted. Zappos because I have free next day shipping.
8. What was your favorite class in college or highschool that was not in your major/concentration? I took a computer technology class in high school that I loved. I also loved my 11th grade regents English class.
9. If you had to spend a day with one of the cast of Friends, who and why? Probably Rachel. I just think she’s be the easiest for me to get along with.
10. What’s the worst thing you’ve ever tasted? Wow. Spoiled milk. My brother had me taste test bad milk without telling me it was bad.
11. What is your primary sleeping position? Back or left side. :)
I was tagged by mamamusement to post six photos I feel the most beautiful in.
1. My wedding day with my mom. I felt the most beautiful I’ve ever felt on that day.
2. Wedding day hair prep.
3. Random instagram selfie, I don’t do those much.
4. 18 or 20 weeks pregnant. I felt so beautiful at this stage of pregnancy.
5. The night Odin was born, after waiting 2 hours alone, my husband and Odin returned and I spent some alone time with Odin doing skin to skin (mind you after this I did not feel beautiful till perhaps Odin’s one year birthday).
6. Very recent good morning photo, no makeup, just us.
All I know is my wedding photos make me hate carbs and miss my platinum hair.
So yes those “terrible twos” are here in full force. I’ve stopped reading, stopped writing, stopped focusing on it all. I’ve let go. I haven’t let go of teaching Odin or taking care of him but I’ve let go of the firm grip I thought I had on control. Not control of him as a person rather control of the day and our plans and stuff like that.
It has helped.
He flips out or tantrums, I put him down some where safe and move away a safe distance and act indifferent. If he is just upset but not in a tantrum I give him words. I say are you mad, sad, frustrated, hungry and so forth. I always have snacks and a water bottle with me. These things may not be a 100% effective or the solution but I don’t feel like I am doing nothing while my kid struggles.
When Odin is frustrated in public the “I don’t care what you think of me as a parent mentality,” really helps. And really I don’t care. Even when Odin is being an angel sometimes other moms give me looks, when he flips out in public I get looks and I look back with the, “you are nothing in my world, I am happy without you,” smile. It’s just a kid upset, I left the muzzle at home.
Bed time has been getting better. I say that now and I know it could go back but he knows what “go to bed” means and “lay down.” So I can’t complain about that. He does try to push bedtime and he still gets up before the sun but I somehow remain awake for my 20 hours a day. Ha.
I’ve stopped over planning or over thinking. I let him do what he likes for play and we mix it up. I don’t over think if this all means I suck at parenting. I remind myself daily that it is okay that he can’t recite the Declaration of Independence. I only beat myself up when I feel like maybe he didn’t have a happy day. When he’s ill I feel I’ve failed him. When he refuses a meal, I feel failure. Then I remind myself he’ll survive.
It’s amazing how parenting is changing who I am in a really good way (mostly). Not caring what people think, being a little more laid back about routine and about the details. Parenting has also helped me become more confident, like sometimes I feel like I know what I am doing…okay like 30% of the time but still.
Hopefully I still feel all this while we are visiting family. You know the kind that use the not so PC phrase, “what is he retarded?” Okay maybe not that but the word “simple” is used. Last time it was “deaf.” That pissed me off but now I laugh (and 500$ later for his hearing test we both aced).